For the Sport Pilot Certificate, you must:
- Be at least 17 years old (or 16 years old if you are applying to operate a glider or balloon.
- Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English.
- Hold at least a third class medical, or hold a current and valid U.S. Drivers license.
Training requirements for a Sport Pilot Certificate:
- A minimum of 20 hours flight time (12 hours PPC), including:
_ 15 hours of flight training (10 hours PPC) from an authorized instructor and 5 hours solo flight (2 hours PPC).
Flight Training must include at least:
- 2 hours cross-country flight training (1 hour PPC)
- 10 takeoffs and landings to a full stop (20 in PPC)
- One solo cross-country flight of at least 75 nautical miles total distance (no max. distance for PPC) with a full-stop landing at a minimum of two points (landing at one different airport in PPC) and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles (10 NM PPC) between takeoff and landing locations.
- 3 hours flight training (1 hour in PPC) in preparation for the practical test.
- Ground training form an instructor or home-study course.
(see 14 CFR (FAR) Part 61 Subpart J)